Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Did you ever ever see such a face? This is Tinka, after playing in the snow for a few minutes. You all know she can't see, but it doesn't stop her from enjoying the feel and smell and taste of a bit of snow. She pretty much does everything she used to, before she went blind last summer.

When i watch Tinka enjoying herself, playing in the snow, twirling when she's asked if she wants to go outside, savoring her peanut butter-filled kong, sitting on 'daddy's' lap and licking his bald head -- it sort of makes me stop
in my tracks. I learn all over again that being joyful is a choice.

We all have the option of approaching each day with a smile or a frown. Some people 'enjoy poor health' as my father used to say. Some people like having something to complain about and if they don't have anything handy, they will create it. They piss and moan and are really miserable. They are even miserable about good things. Everything is a problem. We all know people like that.

On the other side, you can find people who deal with the terrible things that happen to them, and while they may not be thrilled about it, they approach it differently -- they want to at least try to feel good. They want to enjoy life. They want to be ok. They want to succeed. They want to live! That's the kind of person i try to be. I don't always succeed, but i try and it usually works. It's hard not to smile if you think about smiling.

So, when i look at Tinka I think about the way that she makes the best of the deck that has been dealt her. She can't enjoy watching the snow fall, but she sure can enjoy the way it feels on her nose. I think I will try that myself!

Enjoy this day! Do it!
xs